Biosecurity Outreach: Plan, Protect and Prevent
Biosecurity is about keeping your horse healthy. It is the principles, actions, precautions and protocols that protect the health of animals by preventing the transmission of disease through physical barriers and hygiene practices.
AEF and the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (ABVMA) joined forces on a proactive approach to biosecurity in the horse industry. With funding from the Growing Forward II, we updated the Equine Biosecurity Policies and Best Practices
- Equine Biosecurity Policies and Best Practices Book
- Horse Events: Biosecurity guidelines for organizers and competitors
- Equine on-farm Biosecurity Risk Assessment
- Standard Operating Procedures/protocols (SOPs) help ensure everyone who is using a facility and/or engaged in a horse’s care is aware of the expectations and implementation of biosecurity standards. Following are sample SOPs that you can customize to your equine facility. Use these SOPs as a start of a documented biosecurity program that can be reviewed by facility users, horse owners, service providers and your veterinarian.
- Equine Health and Vaccination Record
- Equine Traceability
- Biosecurity Brochure
- Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (ABVMA)
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) – animal biosecurity
- Canadian Veterinary Medical Association
- Community for Emerging and Zoonotic Diseases
- Equine Disease Communication Center
- Equine Guelph
- Horse Welfare Alliance of Canada
To better serve our website visitors and members, we are continually updating our Business, Club, Instructor, Coach, Officials and Stable/Facility Listings. We can help you find what you’re looking for.
Get In Touch
Questions? Concerns? Ideas? We'd love to hear from you.
#120, 251 Midpark Blvd SE
Calgary, AB T2X 1S3
Toll Free: 1-877-463-6233
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday:
8:30am - 4:30pm
Saturday, Sunday & Holidays: