COVID-19 Updates for the Equestrian Community
The situation involving COVID-19 requires everyone’s effort in being vigilant and proactive. We are working hard to provide the Equine Community with updates and information as we receive it. Please continue to come back to this resource page for updates.
- May 14th, 2020 – Government of Alberta COVID-19 Guidance for Outdoor Recreation
- May 14th, 2020 – Government of Alberta COVID-19 Guidance for Day Camps
- May 1st, 2020 – COVID-19 Return to Business Operations – Recommendations
- May 1st, 2020 – The suspension of Equestrian Canada (EC) sanctioned competition has been extended to June 30, 2020
- April 23rd, 2020 – CapriCMW Insurance Services COVID-19 Precautions for Equestrians – UPDATE
- April 3rd, 2020 – Essential Services in Alberta – Government of Alberta Update
- March 30th, 2020 – Suspension Extended for Equestrian Canada (EC) & AEF Sanctioned Competitions
- March 26th, 2020 – National Equine Disease and Welfare Surveillance: Recording
- March 24th, 2020 – Equestrian Canada (EC): Support and Resources for Equine Farms and Equestrian Facilities
- March 20th, 2020 – COVID-19 and Equestrian Facility Updates
- March 16th, 2020 – Alberta Equestrian Federation COVID-19 Updates
COVID-19 Government Resources & Information
The Equine Community is strongly advised to follow recommendations from the Government of Alberta & Canada involving COVID-19.
The following links provide the most accurate and current information and resources:
Provincial Information & Resources:
Due to AEF’s efforts with the Ministry of Agriculture, as of May 20, 2020, stables were listed as an ‘other essential service, under non-restricted services www.alberta.ca/essential-services.aspx. These businesses can resume operations but must follow the general and sector-specific guidance and have enhanced infection prevention and controls in place. In addition, any business that reopens must, as part of a public health order signed by Doctor Hinshaw, develop and implement policies and procedures to address COVID-19, including a plan to reduce the risk of transmission among staff and customers. Information and the plan template is available at alberta.ca/BizConnect. Businesses that have questions can also email [email protected].
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Info for Albertans
- Alberta Biz Connect – Guidance for Reopening
- Information Posters and Fact Sheets
National Information & Resources:
COVID-19 and Equestrian Facilities
In Alberta specifically, the Alberta Equestrian Federation (AEF) does not have the authority to regulate facility operations, we have the responsibility to educate our community.
Equestrian Canada (EC) would like to provide an update regarding its ongoing advocacy on behalf of equine farms and equestrian facilities facing financial hardship during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, as well as offer resources for support during this unprecedented disruption of normal business operations. You may find the full update here: Support and Resources for Equine Farms and Equestrian Facilities
Equestrian Canada (EC) Updates
The suspension of Equestrian Canada (EC) & AEF sanctioned competitions has been extended to June 30, 2020 (announced May 1, 2020), due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This includes all rider level testing and instructor/coaching evaluations.
We encourage our members to listen to the recording of the Equestrian Canada National Equine Disease and Welfare Surveillance Call that took place on March 25th, 2020. View the video recording of the call here.
CapriCMW Insurance Services COVID-19 FAQ’s & Updates
Insurance-related Inquiries about your current AEF membership coverage should be sent directly to CapriCMW Insurance at 1-800-670-1877 (ask for the equine department) or [email protected]
The ALERT Line is an anonymous, producer helping producer call line. If you have questions or concerns about animal welfare, visit: AFAC ALERT Line
Biosecurity Resources for Equestrian Community in Alberta
Continued use of biosecurity best practices will help ensure the health and safety of humans and equines alike.
Please visit www.albertaequestrian.com/biosecurity for resources and links on Biosecurity and Best Practices.
To better serve our website visitors and members, we are continually updating our Business, Club, Instructor, Coach, Officials and Stable/Facility Listings. We can help you find what you’re looking for.
Get In Touch
Questions? Concerns? Ideas? We'd love to hear from you.
#120, 251 Midpark Blvd SE
Calgary, AB T2X 1S3
Toll Free: 1-877-463-6233
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday:
8:30am - 4:30pm
Saturday, Sunday & Holidays: