When an emergency occurs, equine and equine owners are affected – horse owners and custodians are often left on their own to manage the horses in their care. Experience has shown that the lack of emergency structure creates human and animal safety issues and has a negative impact on the response of first responders and municipal emergency coordinators to the actual emergency.
In March of 2017, the AEF received funding for the Equine Industry Emergency Preparedness Program. The outcome was an Equine Industry Emergency Preparedness Plan that includes guidelines and templates to assist Municipality governing bodies and personnel to incorporate equine into existing emergency management plans. In an emergency, your municipality or community will have the resources to assist equine owners.
Action Plan and Additional information:
- Getting prepared for an emergency or disaster is your best bet for helping keep you, your family and equines safe when disaster strikes.
- Create a 72-hour emergency kit
- Emergency Preparedness for Farm Animals
- Download the app for the Alberta Emergency Alert (current information about emergencies)
- Get prepared for Farm and Acreage Emergencies (short brochure)
- Emergency Livestock Handling Equipment Trailers
- Livestock Identification Services offices and contact
In a commitment to improving Canada’s approach to emergency management in agriculture, federal, provincial and territorial (FPT) governments have developed an Emergency Management Framework for Agriculture in Canada (the Framework). The Framework sets out to improve Canada’s ability to address risks and emergencies along the continuum from prevention to recovery, therefore strengthening the resilience, sustainability, and competitiveness of the agriculture sector.
Click here to view the framework.
To better serve our website visitors and members, we are continually updating our Business, Club, Instructor, Coach, Officials and Stable/Facility Listings. We can help you find what you’re looking for.
Get In Touch
Questions? Concerns? Ideas? We'd love to hear from you.
#120, 251 Midpark Blvd SE
Calgary, AB T2X 1S3
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday:
8:30am - 4:30pm
Saturday, Sunday & Holidays:
Stay up to date with the latest news from AEF.
Complete the online photo release form.