Maintaining Instructor/Coach Certification
NCCP Certification Maintenance
This page contains information for the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) certified instructors/coaches looking to keep their credentials valid. In addition to keeping credentials valid, professional development and lifelong learning are the keys to successfully maintaining a high-quality learning environment for equestrians as a coach or instructor – at any level. Therefore, in order to maintain certification, NCCP Certified Coaches and Instructors are also required to participate in ongoing professional development as well.
The following items must be up to date at all times, for NCCP/EC instructors/coaches to maintain their “currency” as part of their certification:
- Pay annual AEF membership;
- Pay annual Equestrian Canada sport license – at the required level: Bronze – Instructors & Competition Coaches, Silver – Competition Coach Specialists, or Gold – High-Performance Coaches.
- Pay annual Equestrian Canada coaching levy (due at time of sport license purchase);
- Provide proof of a current Standard First Aid with level C CPR (at a minimum) certificate to be kept on file; Online first aid courses will no longer be accepted as valid submissions. Individuals MUST attend an in-person course. The only exception to this would be for those individuals taking a course offered by Red Cross or St. John’s Ambulance in a “blended” type learning situation.
- Provide proof of a clean background check with vulnerable sectors completed, once every 5 years, to be kept on file; Can be done online through MyBackCheck now.
If you have been inactive for more than five years, please contact the AEF office directly to speak with the Coaching Coordinator as additional requirements may be necessary.
Professional Development (PD) Reporting
Many activities in an Instructors/Coaches annual routine can be included in their Professional Development Report. Attending clinics, NCCP training, working with a mentor or peer, and many other activities can be used to keep certification current. View the Coaching Program – Professional Development Activity Guide to see which activities can be reported.
In order to ensure ones NCCP certification maintenance is accurately tracked, instructors/coaches should make it a habit to regularly submit a Professional Development (PD) Report form to the AEF office once professional development activities are completed in order to receive credit towards their certification.
The following outlines the minimum expected PD requirements for NCCP Equestrian certifications:
- Instructor = Minimum 10 PD Points / every 5 years;
- Competition Coach & Competition Coach Specialist = Minimum 20 PD Points / every 5 years;
- High Performance Coach = Minimum 30 PD Points / every 5 years.
Important: Each instructor/coach is assigned a unique 5 year PD cycle depending on the date of their certification. For inquiries about ones cycle dates or to receive an update on the number of PD points currently attributed, individuals are encouraged to contact the AEF Coaching Coordinator directly. PD points and cycles are tracked in the NCCP database on each individual instructors/coaches NCCP transcript. It is important to remember that PD points do not carry forward from cycle to cycle, regardless if they exceed the minimum number of required points.
Are you Covered? Instructor/Coaching Commercial Insurance offered through CapriCMW Insurance Ltd.
The AEF strongly believes that a good risk management strategy includes obtaining a broad cover insurance policy. AEF is pleased to educate you about an insurance incentive/product that we have developed with our insurance/risk management partner – CapriCMW Insurance – in support of NCCP certified coaches. You know as we do, that it takes commitment to obtain and maintain NCCP certification. We support that commitment and continuously look for ways to help. Along with a variety of programs that we administer, this insurance product is one we believe recognizes your special status in the horse industry.
We encourage you to have look and take advantage of the coverage being offered. Our partner CapriCMW Insurance has you covered! Current and certified EC/NCCP Instructors/Coaches receive preferred rates that start as low as $225.00 / year.Learn More
Questions regarding commercial instructor/coach insurance policies and coverage can be directed to the team at CapriCMW Ltd. via email at [email protected] or by phone at 1-800-670-1877.
To better serve our website visitors and members, we are continually updating our Business, Club, Instructor, Coach, Officials and Stable/Facility Listings. We can help you find what you’re looking for.
Get In Touch
Questions? Concerns? Ideas? We'd love to hear from you.
#120, 251 Midpark Blvd SE
Calgary, AB T2X 1S3
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday:
8:30am - 4:30pm
Saturday, Sunday & Holidays:
Stay up to date with the latest news from AEF.